Safari web content quit unexpectedly • Mac Support Guy

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Safari web content quit unexpectedly

• Advertisement

• Author

Safari web content quit unexpectedly

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am

Bump.

Everyday with more than a few well trusted sites. My latest have been Twitter and just now Unity3d.com

Very annoying.

Pi

Advertisement

Re:Safari web content quit unexpectedly

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 pm

I have been getting this problem too. I fixed it by reseting Safari. When Safari is opened click Safari on the Menu Bar and then click reset Safari. This WILL REMOVE YOUR SAVED PASSWORDS HISTORY AND ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE STORED!! But it fixed the problem!

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Think this happens more with Safari 5.1 and certain sites.

You can choose NOT to reset saved passwords and autofill in Safari if you wish, assuming that this problem isn't linked to saved passwords and autofill, of course. I'm having this problem, too, and I've reset within the last week. Looks like I'll need to do some more testing.

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Since Lion, I have had the same problem on many websites, including Apple's <http://www.me.com>.

Resting Safari does not fix it.  A fresh install of Lion onto an empty drive, with no other software or plugins installed, still has the problem.  It does work with OSX with a Safe Boot.

<Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode>

but you probably don't always want to run in Safe Mode

<Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?>

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm

I have found a workaround that is less drastic than Safe Mode.  Enable Safari's Debug menu with the Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1

The Debug menu should appear to the right of Safari's Help menu.  In the Debug menu, uncheck:

Enable Canvas Accelerated Drawing

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I solved the problem by moving to Chrome. It is a lot better than it first was.

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Had excatly the same problem! I hate fussing around with settings and "workarounds." I want simple click and browse - so Chrome it is for now!

PostThu Aug 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Bump. I'm having the same problem in OS X 10.6.8, fully patched including Safari 5.1.2. Only happens (so far) on MobileMe. Fixing permissions and rebooting have no effect. Chrome accesses the site without issue. I know I used to be able to access MobileMe on this Mac...I'm having to assume some patch issued by Apple in recent months broke this though I use webmail so rarely that I cannot pinpoint which one.

• Advertisement

Return to Lion 10.7