Is processing speed WAY better?

Is processing speed WAY better?

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Hello all

I presently own a MBPro 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and a 320GB/7200 DD.

I am lookin at purchasing the latest iMac 2.5GHz quad etc..

My question:

I know that in computer linguo, faster is mathematically faster but sometimes not very practically noticeable.

Would switching to the latest iMac from my actual setup prove to be a NOTICEABLE increment in speed while operating GarageBand?

I use mainly softsynths instruments and third party AU's.

That is the ONLY feature I am seeking in the iMac as everything else is running quite adequately for my specific needs.

Even GB is running fine (no freezing etc..) as well except for accessing some instruments (third party) are a tad slower.

Re:Is processing speed WAY better?

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:25 pm

What I noticed was that my iMac's were 'snappier' than my macbooks, but did not see a huge difference, on the surface of things. However, the big difference came when making and processing big projects with multiple instances of 3rd party AU's and tonnes of tracks with effects etc running. You will be less concerned about bogging the machine down because of the way the load is spread accross the cores. You can see the difference by using Activity Monitor and seeing the percentage of load on your processers.

The thing to note is that GB is still a 32bit program so is not going to benefit from more than 4GB Ram. In reading around there seems to be good performance gains in having a Solid State Drive though. So when ordering your machine, if GB is your main DAW, then spending money on the right enhancements can set you up well for quite sometime. Good Luck