No bootable device... can't open Mac OS...

No bootable device... can't open Mac OS...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 am

got a new iMac and just used bootcamp to make a partition.  It was made successfully. but then i quit and didn't continue to install Windows.  After a shower, i guess my iMac went to sleep, but i couldn't wake it up using my apple keyboard or trackpad and i didn't know what was wrong.  So i shut it down manually (using the button) and restarted it, now the screen say "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

What should I do? No disk came with the iMac and I don't want to reinstall everything... can i get back into Mac OS?...

Re:No bootable device... can't open Mac OS...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:40 am

update:

I've finally managed to go into startup manager using an old WIRED windows keyboard.  Problem is... how do I find out if I actually failed or not to make a partition?

I went into System Preferences > Startup Disk > and chose "Mac OS X HD". but it was the only one on the list... so does that mean i didn't manage to partition my hard drive? because I am still trying to partition it and install windows... Thanks!

Re:No bootable device... can't open Mac OS...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:19 am

The BootCamp partition might be there but since it is not-bootable (due to the not-installed Windows) it's not shown in the 'Startup Volume' pfref pane.

Use Disk Utility in OSX to check the partioning of your harddisk.

Also, since you set your OSX to be the default bootable you don't have the luxury of an automatic boot into the Windows partition during the Windows installation.

So, when Windows asked you to reboot your computer from the fresh Windows installation you have to use the Alt/Option-key and manually do it.

In the end it might be easier to use the BootCamp Assistant and remove the made partition and then redo the partitioning and this time install Windows.

Stefan