Moving away from iMovie to Motion 5?...

Moving away from iMovie to Motion 5?...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Guys,

After using iMovie for a number of months, I'm now deciding to move away from iMovie. I would like to move on to another professional application that isn't going to break the bank.

Of course, I'd love to get FCP. But I just can't afford that.

Using Motion 5 as a standalone app.. is that sensible? Would you recommend it? Can I get similar>better results?

Thanks!

Re:Moving away from iMovie to Motion 5?...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 pm

If you can't afford FCP X, you can't afford a profesional NLE.

Motion is for motion graphics, not for editing, totally different animal.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I agree with Southeast Louisiana.  Motion 5 is amazingly powerful.  It can do a lot more than most people realize, and for $50 it is a *must have* application in my humble opinion.  Having said that, it is NOT an NLE and there are things that while simple for FCPX, would be a huge pain to accomplish in Motion.  You can use it with any application by exporting your Motion project as a Quicktime movie.  If money is tight, I recommend going on Amazon or other sites and find a copy of FCP express for about $150.  But really, for just another $150 you could get FCPX, which is much better.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 pm

in addendum what is said before (M5 no eitor etc):

Can I get similar>better results?

'better' in terms of picture-quality? No.

'better' in terms of more options? M5 is, among others, an 'effect generator', with zillions of options to create titles, 'themes', effects.- it is meant to work with FCPX, but is a standalone app, e.g. you can swap clips from within iMovie to M5, process them, bring them back to your iM11 project.

'better' in terms of 'successful'? keep in mind, blockbusters as Blair Witch Project were done with consumer-equipment ... it's not the tool, it's the hand&mind using it.-

M5 using as an editor would be painstakling!!

What do you miss with iM11? What do you expect 'better' from another editor?