Motion 5 and DVD Studio Pro

Motion 5 and DVD Studio Pro

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 pm

I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere else, but I am wondering if Motion 5 will work with DVD Studio Pro 4. I have been working with both programs for years (as a hobby) and have enjoyed increasing my skills in Motion. I do a couple big projects a year, so I definitely don't do this full-time, although I'm hoping to change that. Although I had the entire FCP suiite, I only really used Motion. My motion program was pretty out-of-date (I think it was 2.1, although it did what I needed it to do) and stopped working properly when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Before, I would just create my project in Motion, bring the motion document into DVDSP, add audio that I created in garage band, and burn to disk. I just bought Motion 5 and am learning a lot of new skills. However, when I imported a short Motion 5 document into DVDSP to see what happens, it just shows a purple still saying "Media Missing in Motion File." So, I guess there are 2 questions. Am I going to have to export my Motion files out as some sort of quicktime video to then be able to use in DVDSP (and what will that do to the quality)? Or am I going to have to get FCPX? And if I do get FCPX, I have read that the burn features are pretty limited. Any hopes that they're going to be updating DVDSP?

Re:Motion 5 and DVD Studio Pro

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:20 pm

I just tried a Montion 5 (clip) in DVD Studio Pro 4 and it doesn't work. A Motion 4 (clip) worked just fine. You're going to have to export the Motion 5 clip as a Quicktime and import that into DVD Studio Pro 4.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:49 pm

What will that do to the image quality of my project? I'm assuming it's not going to be as good as it would be if I could just import the motion project itself.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:02 pm

If you use ProRes 422 or 4444 (alpha channel) there won't be difference in quality.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Better yet... Use Compressor 4 to make a MPEG-2 of the Motion file and import that into DVD Studio Pro. Compressor will make a higher quality MPEG-2 file compared to DVD Studio Pro.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks, David

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm

You should use Compressor to make (all) MPEG-2 files over letting DVD Studio Pro.