Motion 5 on a 2011 iMac

Motion 5 on a 2011 iMac

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 am

Hello All,

I'm new to Motion and have a handful questions about running Motion 5 on my 2011 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GPU.

1) Will Motion take advantage of the 2GB GPU or would 1GB have been fine? And if so, what tasks take advantage of the GPU?

2) Will I see a major difference between 12GB of RAM vs. 16GB? I was going to increase the RAM from the standard 2x2GB to 2x2GB + 2x4GB, buying from OWC, Crucial or Newegg. Is it worth going to 16GB? What tasks take advantage of the RAM?

3) Is there a difference running Motion on 10.6.7(what my iMac came with), 10.6.8 or 10.7 Lion? Are there performance issues, good or bad, one from the other? I'm probably going to partition my boot drive to run 10.6.8 and 10.7, didn't know if I should do a 10.6.7 partition as well.

4) Would the Motion 4 training that's out there be beneficial? Or has the program changed too much? I'm going to be doing the Lynda.com Motion 5 Essential Training by Ian Robinson and then jumping over to Motion 5: Rigging & Publishing Titles, Transitions, Effects & Generators for Final Cut Pro X by Mark Spencer at Rippletraining.com to get myself familiar with the program. 

5) If I'm using a firewire 800 drive to store my media will I see a significant drop in performance? Can you keep the media on the boot drive or is this bad practice like an nle system? My media will be HDV footage from a Canon HV20 as well as jpegs and RAW photos from my Nikon D5000.

This forum is fantastic and I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Thanks

Re:Motion 5 on a 2011 iMac

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:49 am

I'm new to Motion and have a handful questions about running Motion 5 on my 2011 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GPU.

1)  On and iMac you can't change graphics card, so you have what you have, unless you're looking to purchase new, then get the higher quality, more VRAM graphics card.  Motion will take advantage of it for a variety of processes.

2) More RAM, better performance, better stability, if you can afford 16GB RAM, go for it.  I recommend 8 GB RAM minimum.  OWC is where I recommend getting RAM from for compatability, quality, and the best customer service around.

3) Not need to partition boot drive, Motion 5 runs just fine in Lion.  One or two very minor issues with FCP X in Lion, nothing to write home about.

4) The best training for Motion 5 is Ripple Training.  Motion 5 has some significant changes (although not drastic, mostly) from 4 that I'd just dive into the Ripple v.5 training from the beginning.  If you're using FCP X, you'll want to advanced to the Rigging & Publishing video series, second.  But only if you're using FCP X, as it only pertains to how Motion 5 preps templates for FCP X.

5) Don't put media on the OS drive, the data pipe of a hard drive is not enough to handle all of that.  Get a FW800 drive, a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID if you have unlimited funds. LOL  I'd convert everything to ProRes 422 for better performace.  So you may want Compressor 4 for that, too.

Re:Motion 5 on a 2011 iMac

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks BenB,

1) I already have the 2GB VRAM card installed, so it's good to know it will be utilized.

2) I'll just go with 12GB of RAM for now and if I feel I need more I'll add more then. Thanks for the OWC recommendation.

3) Good to know Motion runs well on Lion. I'm sure the bugs in FCP X will be fixed with future updates.

4) I'm definately going to check out the Ripple Training. I have a subscription to Lynda.com, that's why I'm starting there.

5) I'll stick with FW800, since I don't have unlimited funds for a Thunderbolt drive.

Apperciate you passing along your wisdom, big help