external Midi keyboard connection to...

external Midi keyboard connection to...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:36 pm

I have a Roland RD-700gx stage piano which I use as a midi keyboard in Logic Pro 9. But now Logic doesn't recognise it anymore. The transport bar says there is 'no in'. Does anyone have an idea what has gone wrong here? So far I've only used the Roland as an external keyboard with usb (so not used sounds from the roland yet). Worked fine so far. I just upgraded to Lion, could that have something to do with it? Can anyone tell me how to make it work again? I forgot how I did it last time. I'm not very experienced with midi. Thanks for any help!

Re:external Midi keyboard connection to...

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 am

so you have it connected via USB? And is that direct, or a hub? If it's a hub, rule out (common) hub failure by bypassing it and going direct to the computer. After each step, check it with "Audio MIDI Setup" (utilities folder). Make sure the Roland is represented in Audio MIDI Setup with an icon of it's own. If not you would need to "add device" at the top of the A.M.S. window. Next would be to try a different cable.

If you're using an interface, does it have MIDI (5-pin) ports? I'm pretty sure your stage piano has them, you could get an old-school MIDI cable and try it that way. (midi out from piano to midi in on interface)

have you considered an animal sacrifice? 

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:04 am

Does the Roland show up in the MIDI window of your Audio MIDI Setup utility?

Does the Roland need drivers? If so, have you checked if they are in fact compatible with Lion? I think they might not be, in which case you'll have to either revert to Snow Leopard or wait until Roland releases Lion compatible drivers.

"No in" ONLY means that at that very moment no midi messages are being received from the keyboard. Does it say anything when you fiddle your keys or modwheel or pitchbender?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 am

Thank you both for your comments and support! I tried the animal sacrifice first (our cat RIP) but the driver thing proved to be the solution. I downloaded the latest Roland drivers and everything worked fine again! Thanks again guys.