Trouble with my newly burned DVD's

Trouble with my newly burned DVD's

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am

I am having trouble with my newly burned DVD's which are produced using iDVD. They seem to play a couple of times then start freezing (usually on DVD players). I played one last night on my mac and it made a horrible grinding noise which you could hear slowing until the disc and movie froze completely. This is causing me much concern as I am burning DVD's as part of my wedding video business for newly weds.

I have a few questions

1. Is there a manufacturer that produces high quality DVD's to ensure my clients get the best.

2. Is there a chance that my mac DVD burner might be glitchy?

3. Does my mac DVD player/ burner need cleaned regularily?

4. Is there external DVD burner that I can buy that would ensure high quality DVD burning process?

5. I print DVD covers to stick onto the DVD's. Does this reduce quality or effect the playing process in anyway?

amy experience/ knowledge would be appreciated.

Re:Trouble with my newly burned DVD's

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 am

1 -    burn to disk with Disk Utility at the slowest speed available to assure the best burn quality.  Always use top quality media:  Verbatium, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

2 - possiblly but have you had prolems with other DVDs that you've burned.

3 - it can't hurt to use a cleaining disk in the burner every once in a while.

4 - not necesarily.  If you burner is good it is as good as any.

5 - Do not put stick on labels on a disk.  They can produce an unbalanced disk, eventaully can lift and cause jamming in the player, etc.

I have a printer than can print directly onto printable DVD disks which can create very professional looking disks.  The Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer is one that prints directly to disk..  

Otherwise create very nice jewel case inserts and use disk compatible markers to identify the disc itself.

OT

Re:Trouble with my newly burned DVD's

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:29 am

Hi

I can only try to answer - BUT I'm an Amateur - and can not give 100% Professional advices and take NO responsibility for how they may affect You. But I will try as best as I can.

1. Is there a manufacturer that produces high quality DVD's to ensure my clients get the best.

• I only use Verbatim DVD-R as they play well (There also is Tayio Juden - never had any possibility to try these)

2. Is there a chance that my mac DVD burner might be glitchy?

• I set down burn speed in iDVD (x4) to get as few burn errors possibly

3. Does my mac DVD player/ burner need cleaned regularily?

• Mine does - I run a Cleaning DVD from time to time

4. Is there external DVD burner that I can buy that would ensure high quality DVD burning process?

• Yes but I've doubt that the result will be any better or worse - MY OPINION - I've got a ForeMac DVD burner as last resort.

5. I print DVD covers to stick onto the DVD's. Does this reduce quality or effect the playing process in anyway?

• NEVER PUT ANY LABLE OR STICKY DEVICE ON ANY DVD or CD - as they will lose in stability and result will be a MAL-Functioning DVD (or most probably not working at all - especially DVDs)

I do - use printable DVDs and use printer that accepts DVDs. They look as Pro Quality DVDs

Yours Bengt W - Sharing without ANY RESPONSIBILITY AT ALL !