Play one video after the other

Play one video after the other

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 am

How do I set up iDVD so that Movie B starts to play automatically after Movie A without returning to the menu? User clicks on Movie A and sees it and then Movie B and then is returned to menu.

The reason for this: I have a large iMovie project which iMovie cannot export to a single HD 1080p MOV file for import into iDVD. I now have to try spiltting my project into 2 or more parts and export a HD 1080p MOV file for each part. I then import the parts into iDVD and string them together so that they play as a single movie when the user clicks on Movie A.

I am running the latest version of iMovie11: 9.0.4 (1634) and iDVD 7.1.2 (1158). My raw project is 116 MB and 66min in size. I am working on a 15.4inch MacBook Pro I bought in Jan 2009 with the following spec: Mac OS X version 10.6.8, Processor is 3.06 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, Memory is 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with 250GB solid state drive and 120GB free.

Re:Play one video after the other

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

There is no reason to export the video from iMovie as 1080. iDVD will shrink it down to 720x480 anyway. Just try export as one SD resolution movie and drop that into iDVD instead.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Dear Calbe

I have successfully exported a HD 720p MOV file and imported it into iDVD and burned it to DVD but it looks ****! Nothing like the original HD 720p MOV file when played on my Mac with QuickTime!

I realise the DVD will never be the same as the MOV it is based on but what is the best method of burning a DVD that is as close as possible to the original, ie, the highest quality result on DVD?

Many thanks for you contribution

JG

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi

A. There are no "Play All" button/function in iDVD - has to be faked one way or another

• Make a new movie containing all parts - a Full Movie - cons: takes x2 space together with the smaller parts.

or

• Drop movies into a SlideShow - but now also un-select scale picture - else You'll get a black frame all around - not nice

or

• Use a program that has a "Play All" function as - Roxio Toast™

B. Use - Share to Media Browser and as "Large" (not HD or other resolution) - I lose audio when trying HD

C. For best result - use iMovie up to HD6 or FinalCut instead as they can export all lines over to iDVD - iMovie'08 or 09 or 11 - can not do this but just every second line = Less resolution

D. iDVD doesn't care about Gbs at all only in duration - Movie + Menu time and Menu can be big eg 15 minutes that has to be counted in.

iDVD 08, 09 & 11 has three levels of qualities. (vers 7.0.1, 7,0.4 & 7.1.1)

iDVD 6 has the two last ones

• Professional Quality (movies + menus up to 120 min.) - BEST

• Best Performances (movies + menus  less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD

• High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6) (movies + menus up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

About double on DL DVDs.

Yours Bengt W

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

JG,

Unfortunately, the DVD will never look as crisp as the original source video. And this has to do with the encoding engine iDVD uses. It is meant for convenience of making movies versus crystal quality.

Some more details regarding enconding methods:

Best Performance: Uses a constant bitrate of 7Mbps

High Quality: Uses a single pass variable bitrate of 3-7Mbps

Professional Quality: Uses a two-pass variable bitrate of 3-7Mbps

The numbers will tell you Best Performance will yield the best quality. But from my experience, there is actual very little noticeable difference in playback.

What you can do to get a little bit more:

1. Export to a lossless codec such as Apple Intermediate or DV or RAW (66mins at 720p, not enough disk space). This way, quicktime doesn't have to compress the same movie footage twice. The first from iMovie to 720p video and the second from the 720p video to MPEG-2 (iDVD).

2. Or you can do what I did, invest in an alternative option that will yield better quality, DVD Studio Pro or another 3rd party solution. Using Compressor, I was able to get near crisp original quality at 5Mbps bitrate versus iDVD's 7Mbps.

I hope this information is helpful.