How do I burn an iMovie in standard...

How do I burn an iMovie in standard...

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 am

I recently purchased a 27" iMac.  The first thing I did with it was put together an iMovie using clips and pics pf the 2011 Old Time Fidler's Convention in Galax, Va.  This was a learning experience as this is my first Mac.  I figured out iMovie, got the movie put together and then went to burn a movie DVD to send to my cousin (who went there with me). I clicked on share and then on iDVD only to be told that iDVD was not on my machine.  Why would iDVD be in the menu but not included?  How else can i burn a movie DVD that will play in a standard movie DVD player?

Re:How do I burn an iMovie in standard...

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:36 am

You must have very recently bought your iMac with Lion pre- installed correct?  If you look at other threads in this forum, you'll discover that iDVD is no longer included on new machines with iLife, and that to get iDVD you need a "boxed set" of iLife11 (iLife09 will also work to custom install just iDVD).   Most of us agree this is quite premature on Apple's part, and that while DVD use is waning, it is far from gone.  As iDVD was part of the "original" iLife11, it shows up in your iMovie menus.

I suggest you call Apple and complain to customer service, you might get a copy of iDVD that way, it can't hurt.   If that doesn't work, look for a reseller selling boxed sets of iLife09 or iLife 11 and custom install iDVD, then do a couple software updates.   We all agree that you shouldn't have tp pay for this, but even so I still think it is your best option.   You could go pay more for other DVD authoring programs, there are even a few cheap ones on the Mac App store, but iDVD is better than these IMHO.

Hope this helps....

JB

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:25 am

I have the same issue, iMovie file renders and asks me where is iDVD so it can burn to disk.  iDVD is not on my machine.  So what do I do as an alternative?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 am

I have the same issue as yea guys, made a slide show in iPhoto and wanted to burn a couple of DVDs for some friends as a Christmas present from pictures I took during the summer.  Now I learn that iDVD is off the market and Apple have now provided a free alternative,  I have logged a complaint with apple through the customer support team, if we get enough people to complain we should get a responce from Apple and an alternative package to burn DVDs.  Lets just hope the alternative package is not any of the ones on the App store as they are very poor packages.  If ye guys have an alternative package that is as good as I tunes, please let me know.