iDVD quits unexpectedly

iDVD quits unexpectedly

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 am

I have been trying out iDVD with limited success.  However, lately when I get to the point of dragging photos into the slideshow editor, iDVD quits.  I have tried single photos and a group of photos.  Either way, the result is the same: iDVD quits.  Can you help me?

Re:iDVD quits unexpectedly

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 am

First try the following:

1. delete the iDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your Home() /Library/Preferences folder.
  2. go to your Home()/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD folder and delete its contents.
  3. launch iDVD and try again.

If that doesn't help create a new test project and try adding photos to a slideshow in it.

OT

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 am

I assume that you are directing me to the Finder to locate the "Home/Library/Preferences" folder.  I cannot find the iDVD preference file called  "com.apple.iDVD.plist" in that folder.  Nor can I find the folder "com.apple.iDVD" in the "Home/Library/Caches/" folder.  They apparently do not exist.  What next?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am

If you've run iDVD then you must have that preference file.  Download and use  Find Any File  to search or "com.apple.iDVD.plist" and "com.apple.idvd".  FAF can search areas that Spotlight cannot. 

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:40 pm

For some reason the "Library" folder under my login does not show.  I used Terminal to find it and deleted the files that you refered to. (How come I cannot see the user "Library" folder from the Finder?).  I tried three more times to get iDVD to let me add photos to my slideshow, but iDVD crashed each time.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 pm

In Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:35 pm

I followed your instructions and the "Library" folder now is visible.  I repeated the deletions of the two folders as you directed and tried again to add photos to the iDVD project.  The same results:  Poof!  iDVD disappears as before.  The strange thing about this is that I did successfully create three trial slide shows.  Is there a log of some kind that may hold the key to this problem?  I appreciate your help.