Can I use ARD to administer 3 iMacs in...

Can I use ARD to administer 3 iMacs in...

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:19 am

My old boss has moved from PCs to Macs and wants me to manage the system from home. Her office...Singapore. My home....Australia. Will ARD allow me to do the job? Im also on Macs at home.

And if not, what Mac based service/product is out there that will do this?

Re:Can I use ARD to administer 3 iMacs in...

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:53 am

It can be done with ARD, but whether it will be practical or not will depend on what service you will need to perform on those systems and how the network on the Singapore end is set up. The issue of network ports and forwarding come into play and those can often be a headache. If it's a typical NAT setup, you'd have to have a VPN, so that your administrator system could become part of that network, necessary to be able to manage all the Macs, or ARD installed on one of those systems and then take control of that system via another method (VNC, for example).

With only three systems to deal with, unless there's a feature in ARD that you really need I'd recommend using iChat or a service such as LogMeIn, either of which would allow you to take control of the systems while avoiding the issues of port forwarding, IP addresses and DNS names.

Regards.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:39 am

there are 2 options I have used in the past for this type of situation.  you can preconfigure a router to allow port forwarding and then send it to her.  the advantages here are 2 fold.  it allows you to configure a router the way you need it and then have her just plug it in plus it guarantees there is a firewall in place.

the other option is to use the free version of logmein  you can send her a download link that will attach the client to your account.  the Mac client works great both on a mac as well as FROM a mac.

HTH

Sean B

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 am

Considering you want to connect to more then 3 Mac, you may want to consider Slink. It's price point for multiple macs is cheaper then logmein.

iChat is free, but it dose have some challenges in comparison to Slink or LogMeIn. It dose have one really nice feature wich is voice chat. And some networks block iChat.

ARD requires configuring other systems to be able to provide remote support. (Firewalls, Dynamic DNS, VPN) All of witch can break. Considering your not Singapore, if you chose ARD there would be the added challenge of trying to learn, remotely setup, support, and troubleshoot these additional systems.

And if any of those remote macs are mobile, soon as the mac leave their home network, ARD will most likely no longer be able to reach the computer.