how do i connect to a machine across...

how do i connect to a machine across...

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:29 pm

OK - a little overkill, but this was the suggestion that the apple store came up with.

I got a copy of Remote Desktop, as I have a couple of family members that need support, so this is mainly for remoting in and controlling the screen and helping them - but how to do I connect to their machines.

I have set up the sharing for apple remote desktop, and got the ip address of their router, but how to I get tot he Mac's - help - idiot here - please help.

Thanks,

rob.

Re:how do i connect to a machine across...

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Rob, you need to find out if the ip address is a dedicated ip for the router, also does the router do network translation (NAT) for the family's mac's? you maynot be able to see the mac's attached if the router uses NAT.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 pm

I have the IP address of the router.  I have found other posts here saying this is well covered in this fourm, but I can not find a definative link or discussion and it seems to be a common topic.  Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

To say again and provide more detail - i am trying to remote into a machine accross the internet - the router is performin NAT on a 192.168.... address and I have the ip address of the router and a method of getting the address again should it be refreshed.  the machine I am connecting to is running leopard, and is a G5 so not an intel machine - so can not go to snow leopard.

How do I do it?  Please help - at the moment its a 4 hour round trip everytime my Mum has a problem.  I know this produc can do it, but how?

Thanks,

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 pm

You need to open the ports ARD uses in the router and forward them to the internal IP address of the workstation you wish to connect to. Then you use the router's IP address in ARD.

It's a lot less hassle to use iChat or a service such as LogMeIn. With those you don't have to worry about port forwarding or IP addresses changing (as they do when using DHCP).

Regards.