Remote Desktop Applications on iPad2

Remote Desktop Applications on iPad2

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:56 pm

I am looking for a remote desktop application for iPad2. I have seen posts about Logmein, Screens and Splashtop and would like to know which of these is the most secure and would be recommended - Have there been any security issues with any of these apps? Additionally are there any particular features of one over the other which makes that particular app better for work purposes?

Re:Remote Desktop Applications on iPad2

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:46 pm

I've been using Spashtop for a couple of months. Seems pretty good, i use it to remote back to my Windows 7 computer at work. Even works when I VPN in from home. I did have a couple of issues with updates. Tip: if there is an update for the iPad, check to see if there is an update for the client. Lesson learned...

Re:Remote Desktop Applications on iPad2

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't know about the rest, but I can tell you that LogMeIn is encrypted.  LogMeIn also has the advantage of being able to remote control from a Mac or Windows PC, not just the iPad like some other services.  LogMeIn is free, but the iPad app is not free.  (Versus LogMeIn's competition GoToMyPC, which has a free iPad app, but the service has a monthly fee.) Any of the "VNC" type apps should connect to a Mac's built-in screen sharing, eliminating the need to install anything on the host.  But those usually require firewall configuration (e.g.: port forwarding) or setting up a VPN.  If you are comfortable with that and/or have control overy your firewall, then that is arguably "better".  But if you do not have control over the firewall, then LogMeIn would be the best choice, particularly for the less technically inclined.