IMac and FCP 7, DPX export query

IMac and FCP 7, DPX export query

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:59 am

Hello … Currently I am working with FCP 7.3 on I-MAC 27, 3.1 quad core i5 processor, 1 TB hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory…….now my query is how should I capture the shots of the movie from camera, as it is IMac so Firewire is only option?? also they want me to have a DPX file for it after the movie is edited….so how can I export to DPX from FCP….Can I have the AJA, Kona cards to I mac or what options do I have to Export the Movie in DPX from my I Mac? Would like to have a solution on this….Thanks

Re:IMac and FCP 7, DPX export query

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 am

>how should I capture the shots of the movie from camera, as it is IMac so Firewire is only option?? What camera?  We need to know that to give you a proper answer.  Many cameras lately are tapeless, and aren't captured via firewire or with capture cards.  There's a different workflow for them. >also they want me to have a DPX file for it after the movie is edited….so how can I export to DPX from FCP Well, if you color correct with COLOR, you can export as DPX.  I'm sure there's an option to do that in FCP as well. >Can I have the AJA, Kona cards to I mac or what options do I have to Export the Movie in DPX from my I Mac? You can't...but they wouldn't help. You don't need a capture card for this...they don't do DPX. 

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 am

Camera's:One is shot on JVC, other is in Super 16..... DPX export: also I wish to know the workflow for DPX export from COLOR...coz for checking when I tried to send some old clips from other movie's timeline Sequence to COLOR it only shows the name of the Effect I had in timeline...nothing else....Nothing is seen in Display...when I render nothing happens in COLOR,,, Apologises if I'm missing some details in the Query....thanks for the reply...

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 am

JVC...what?  There are JVC HDV cameras that are tape, there are AVCHD JVC cameras, there are a couple that record directly to QT files as XDCAM... specifics. As for the Super 16...that's film, so how it is being telecined?  To tape?  What form of tape?  To a digital file? What format of digital file?  Again, specifics are needed. Color has the option to render out the final as DPX...so that is very straightforward.  But it also is VERY specific as for what it needs for file formats.  DVCPRO HD, HDV, ProRes are the only HD formats it supports.  So your footage better be in those formats.  And it doesn't bring in the transitions...or show them.  It will show you they exist, but doesn't use them, as they are unsupported, other than cross dissolves (I believe those show up in the DPX files).   And when you render...you are either making QT files, or DPX files....then you need to SEND TO FCP, or take the DPX files and assemble them (How? Dunno, never had to deal with DPX).

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Sorry for missing out the details its JVC HDV camera with Tape... Super 16 is telecined to digital file mpeg2..... For COLOR export I just sent one clip with the following resolution : 1280 x 720, 29.97 FPS, Mpeg 4.... >And it doesn't bring in the transitions...or show them.  It will show you they exist, but doesn't use them, as they are unsupported, other than cross dissolves (I believe those show up in the DPX files).  Ok..yes it showed only names nothing else... In Render there are options as Render QT or DPX...I select DPX but it is not exporting...I think lots of major settings are being missed by me in able to do the Exporting to DXP in COLOR... Anyways thanks for the reply....

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:23 pm

>Super 16 is telecined to digital file mpeg2 Really? That isn't a format FCP works with...nor Color.  You'll need to convert it to ProRes.  As well as the HDV footage.  Use the media Manager and the RECOMPRESS option for the HDV, and MPEG STREAMCLIP for the MPEG-2 16mm.   >For COLOR export I just sent one clip with the following resolution : 1280 x 720, 29.97 FPS, Mpeg 4.... MPEG-4...Color doesn't work with that format.  As I said before, only HDV, DVCPRO HD, ProRes.  That's why Color's not working for you.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 pm

thanks a ton Ross shall do it....  Will notify how far does the work goes from herein...:) thanks again....

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Ross...finally I did the DPX export from Color....:)  I imported the HD format into Color and then It exported in DPX format.... Thanks for the reply..:)