Getting error Can’t open file...

Getting error Can’t open file...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 am

I recently had to replace my harddrive a few months back and tried to open my iWeb to update my website.  When I click to open it, I get "Can’t open file “~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2.”  I uploaded iLife again but that didn't seem to help.

Re:Getting error Can’t open file...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:24 am

Did you confirm that you have a Domain.sites2 file in your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder?  If so double click on it to try to open with iWeb.  If that doesn't work try the following: delete the iWeb preference file, com.apple.iWeb.plist, that resides in your Home()/Library/Preferences folder. go to your Home()/Library/Caches/com.apple.iWeb folder and delete its contents. launch iWeb and try again. If that doesn't help continue with: move the domain file from your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder to the Desktop.launch iWeb, create a new test site, save the new domain file and close iWeb. go to the your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and delete the new domain file.move your original domain file from the Desktop to the iWeb folder.launch iWeb and try again.   OT

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:53 am

If it is helpful, here is a video showing how to find pref files and the domain file.Hughhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws_QW_dg9XA

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 am

I tried this and it didn't help.  The first section didn't work so I tried the second section.  I did step one then double clicked on it to do step 2:move the domain file from your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder to the Desktop.launch iWeb, create a new test site, save the new domain file and close iWeb.However, it didn't launch iWeb so I could create a new test site.  It gave me the same error.  Is there another way around this to launch iWeb?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 am

I did the Go to folder and it says I do not have a folder called receipts.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 am

You did enter /var/db/receipts/ in the Go to Folder menu window, right?   It must not have been created if you hadn't run any installers since replacing the hard drive.  Therefore there will be no receipts to remove before installing.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 am

So I wonder why when I put ILife into my computer and install it again, it still doesn't work.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 am

Do the other iApps work?  Two more things to try: 1 - log into another user account on your Mac and see if you can successfullly launch iWeb.2 - boot into  Safe Mode and try launching iWeb. Try this:  launch the Console application (located in your Applications/Utilities folder).  Then try to launch iWeb.  Check the All Messages section for iWeb related messages.  Copy and paste the iWeb messages into a reply.  It'll look something like this: