how can I restore lost iweb site?

how can I restore lost iweb site?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Hard drive had to be wiped - I did have a backup up of my "published" site, but not the ".sites" file that resides in the Apllication Support/iweb folder. Anything I can do besides spending an entire day to rebuild from scratch? By the way, how does Apple not recognize the ABSURDITY of not being able to save a file of your project? It's also RIDICULOUS that you buy the iweb software but apparently can only design and upload 1 website. No other program works like. Has anyone at Apple ever responded to the criticism? (because I know I am not the first to find these features incredibly annoying) Thanks! OS 10.5.8iweb '09

Re:how can I restore lost iweb site?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:29 am

Unfortunately if you don't have a copy of the Domain.sites2 file you will have to rebuild your site from scratch. Chapter 2.3 on the iWeb FAQ.org site has tips on using some of the existing files, image, audio, video, etc., from the published site in the creation of the new site.  By the way, how does Apple not recognize the ABSURDITY of not being able to save a file of your project?That's what backups are for, either for the whole drive or selected files/folders.It's also RIDICULOUS that you buy the iweb software but apparently can only design and upload 1 website. Where did you get that idea?   I have domain files with 5 or 6 sites in them. However, only one can be published at a time. The capability of managing multisites in iWeb has been around since iWeb  Version 1. Here's the contents of just one of my many Domain.sites2 files:  OT

Re:how can I restore lost iweb site?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks for the info - that is helpful and I do appreciate it. As far as backing up - all I am saying is that whether one is using Microsoft Word and creating a document, or even in a program like Avid Media Composer you create a project (and the media files exist elsewhere), but in both cases you get a single file that is your project or document or what have you, and you double click that file and it opens up the project just the way you last saved it. Why does apple feel the need to hide such a file in the User/Library/ Application Support etc folder? When you publish a site to your desktop it should be a folder with both the media and some sort of single project file. I did back up my published website before I re-installed my OS system and my iweb software - I didn't realize I would need back up my library as well. Sorry but that's kind of silly.